WTF? and who watches this shite

IMG_3537.png

It’s Nick Thompson and Jeremy Hartwell, from Netflix’s "Love is Blind," Season 2. Before we entered into the world of reality television, we thought we understood what happened behind the scenes in unscripted television. But we realized that we had no idea about the extent of manipulation and misrepresentation that we would experience. Reality television producers don’t want potential cast members—and definitely not viewers—to know what happens before, during, and after filming.

Reality TV isn't what it seems. Streaming and production companies are earning millions—even billions—of dollars at the expense of the well-being of cast members like ourselves. We could never have imagined the extent of deprivation of basic necessities, like access to water and the ability to use the bathroom, or of coercion that would occur to us on set. We didn’t think it would be legal, because it shouldn’t be. And the extent to which producers can edit footage to craft an entirely different reality from what actually unfolded was beyond our comprehension.

Extremely Fake & Gay

True story. I have a friend who had two close relatives (both male) who were going to buy a house in a foreign country. They were approached by an HGTV show that films people doing just that - buying houses abroad. Show was going to pick up expenses and all. One hitch: instead of going as relatives, the show wanted these two to pose as gay, married partners. They declined.

G

Greasemonkey

True story. I have a friend who had two close relatives (both male) who were going to buy a house in a foreign country. They were approached by an HGTV show that films people doing just that - buying houses abroad. Show was going to pick up expenses and all. One hitch: instead of going as relatives, the show wanted these two to pose as gay, married partners. They declined.
I'd have got the trip paid for then told them to F off.