Russia’s biggest automaker reports highest sales in a decade. They don’t need the West.

Jenkem Jenkins

AvtoVAZ! I had a 1990 Lada 21063 for a few years. Bought it from a guy in Pennsylvania and had it hauled down to FL. The guy that hauled it grew up in Ukraine, so he knew all about them and gave me the rundown on how to operate it.

Awesome little car. Carbureted which meant there was a fuel primer like on a weed whacker or old lawnmower and you had to prime it before every start. There was a choke lever under the steering wheel too. No power steering (which made it that much more fun to drive). Cool thing about the older Lada lineup is they barely changed it from the 70s until I believe 2006 when they stopped producing them. I sold it to a guy that collects them last year but I hope to buy another one someday, maybe get the 2104 because station wagons are badass.

Jenkem Jenkins

Yeah but the west doesn't want shit cars based on 30 year old Fiat's.
Hey speak for yourself. I for one love Soviet era Eastern Bloc cars. Sure I spent more time under my Lada than actually driving it but that's half the fun. Only reason I sold it was because sourcing parts was getting too expensive, and besides that I couldn't even buy anything from Russia for a while due to the whole Ukraine thing. Still I'd take a Lada over any muscle car or classic Euro car anyway (maybe save for the Jensen Interceptor, those things are pure class)

Hey speak for yourself. I for one love Soviet era Eastern Bloc cars. Sure I spent more time under my Lada than actually driving it but that's half the fun. Only reason I sold it was because sourcing parts was getting too expensive, and besides that I couldn't even buy anything from Russia for a while due to the whole Ukraine thing. Still I'd take a Lada over any muscle car or classic Euro car anyway (maybe save for the Jensen Interceptor, those things are pure class)
I’m guessing the vaz is more reliable nowadays

Jenkem Jenkins

I’m guessing the vaz is more reliable nowadays
Definitely, but they look about like every other new car. The 2101-2107 line defined what Lada was, they had character. You see one and instantly know "That's a fuckin Lada". I'm sure GM sees them all over in Czechia. There's actually a mechanic that specializes in Ladas in Miami, a lot of Cubans have them as project cars in Florida because it was pretty much the only car you could get in Cuba for a long time.

sxng9

Trustee
I can't remember the name of the Russian guy's channel, but he does various crazy experiments on the Lada and from what I can tell, those cars seem to be nearly indestructible.

G

Greasemonkey

Definitely, but they look about like every other new car. The 2101-2107 line defined what Lada was, they had character. You see one and instantly know "That's a fuckin Lada". I'm sure GM sees them all over in Czechia. There's actually a mechanic that specializes in Ladas in Miami, a lot of Cubans have them as project cars in Florida because it was pretty much the only car you could get in Cuba for a long time.
Can't really say I've seen one but there are three Fiat's that are based on in a farm yard about 10 kilometres from us along with a Trabant which were literally made from paper mache, however I have seen a couple of Lada Niva's.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Greasemonkey

Sorry everyone has a favourite but for me it's not Lada's, I don't doubt they are tough little cars, the KGB had modified versions with two litre Fiat twin cam engines. My husband was in the process of restoring a 1971 Interceptor 3 with a 7.2 litre engine when I met him, they are actually an Italian design by Carrozzeria.

Jenkem Jenkins

Can't really say I've seen one but there are three Fiat's that are based on in a farm yard about 10 kilometres from us along with a Trabant which were literally made from paper mache, however I have seen a couple of Lada Niva's.
Trabants are another "cult favorite" of mine. I'd love to have one, just because it's a 2 stroke shitcan what came about before the fall of the Berlin wall. If you can't tell by now I love the 'ugly' garbage cans. I've always wanted a Yugo GV just for the hell of it, although I'm sure after a month of owning one I'd take it to my buddy's rural property and fill it with tannerite and blow it sky high! Worst car ever made right there and that's why I'd love it.
Sorry everyone has a favourite but for me it's not Lada's, I don't doubt they are tough little cars, the KGB had modified versions with two litre Fiat twin cam engines. My husband was in the process of restoring a 1971 Interceptor 3 with a 7.2 litre engine when I met him, they are actually an Italian design by Carrozzeria.
I always thought the Interceptor had some Italia in it, they have the same look as older Maseratis. Being largely Italian myself I can see why I'm so into them. I've always been a Lada fanatic though, growing up I played a lot of first person shooter games and Ladas (along with Volgas and Zaporozhets) are very commonly seen in those games, being rusted out and or blown up along roadsides. I can't help but like the boxy utilitarian design, same reason I'm so into 80s and 90s BMWs and Benzes. And the older Skodas too. I'll stop now before I start ranting about shitty cars that nobody else likes

G

Greasemonkey

Trabants are another "cult favorite" of mine. I'd love to have one, just because it's a 2 stroke shitcan what came about before the fall of the Berlin wall. If you can't tell by now I love the 'ugly' garbage cans. I've always wanted a Yugo GV just for the hell of it, although I'm sure after a month of owning one I'd take it to my buddy's rural property and fill it with tannerite and blow it sky high! Worst car ever made right there and that's why I'd love it.

I always thought the Interceptor had some Italia in it, they have the same look as older Maseratis. Being largely Italian myself I can see why I'm so into them. I've always been a Lada fanatic though, growing up I played a lot of first person shooter games and Ladas (along with Volgas and Zaporozhets) are very commonly seen in those games, being rusted out and or blown up along roadsides. I can't help but like the boxy utilitarian design, same reason I'm so into 80s and 90s BMWs and Benzes. And the older Skodas too. I'll stop now before I start ranting about shitty cars that nobody else likes
Did you know Skoda's had heated rear windows? It was to keep your hands warm when you were pushing them in the winter.

Yugo's were another Fiat based car along with Seat's. My husband's goddaughter is Italian and a veterinary surgeon, also has a low opinion of niggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Greasemonkey

Believe it or not this is a Zil 112
1476640809206.jpg
it could be had with a 6 or 7 litre V8 depending on how quickly you want to die. Also the Tatra 603 is an interesting car it had a 2.5 litre air-cooled V8 stuffed up its rear end, kinda resembled a big Skoda Rapide. I love talking dirty about cars.

Jenkem Jenkins

Believe it or not this is a Zil 112
View attachment 35745 it could be had with a 6 or 7 litre V8 depending on how quickly you want to die. Also the Tatra 603 is an interesting car it had a 2.5 litre air-cooled V8 stuffed up its rear end, kinda resembled a big Skoda Rapide. I love talking dirty about cars.
If I'm driving that thing, I can die as quickly as it wants me to.. it's like those 60s Ferrari circuit racers except unlike the Ferrari it can surely be powered by vodka instead of gas

G

Greasemonkey

If I'm driving that thing, I can die as quickly as it wants me to.. it's like those 60s Ferrari circuit racers except unlike the Ferrari it can surely be powered by vodka instead of gas
We had a Gardner Douglas AC Cobra replica for a while with an LS engine, we used to go to track days and hill climb it, absolutely bonkers fast.

G

Greasemonkey

I can't afford a car at the moment, so I switched to a 3100,-€ bike.Bicycles aren't cheap anymore either, and I'm constantly having to repair something.
I had a regular mountain bike and all sorts of problems occurred with it despite both myself and my husband being quite handy at restoring cars and bikes so I ditched it a got a fat tired mountain bike who suspension and its totally reliable it just has so much less to go wrong with it and it still comfortable on rough terrain. I almost got a bamboo framed bike they are tough and light.