Aging White Rockers. Just say no.

sandra

This won't be popular. And I'm not bashing whites in general.

But, do we need fat, gray, ridiculous hipster bands on tour?

Granted, some bands are more folk or country oriented, and it's enjoyable.

This pic is TOTO. Now, the guy now is way fatter, and has silver hair. It's ridiculous. You're not 25.

End of rant

Attachments

• images (8).jpeg
    images (8).jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 26

Black Gorilla Jr.

Toto is a really good band. So is lover boy who is old and overweight but they are such good acts people love to see them.. same with billy idol who also has still got it.

The ones that erk me are the one hit wonders from 30 years ago still touring. But i also agree some of the bands just go on too long like aerosmith and rolling stones… many bands now don't even have the original members. Just stand in actors and its all sort of a scam people are paying big dollars and think they are seeing the original act..

DePlasmatikon Gibs

Jr. Administration
Staff member
I think it's OK when they tour. It's all they know and nobody is forced to watch it.

What I don't like is when they still try to put out records 20, 30 years past their prime. And then go on tour to promote that new shit. Nobody wants to hear it! These records always suck. The majority of bands can only produce quality for a few albums, very good bands maybe six or more, but a lot of bands only had one really good album, and some only a single song ("one hit wonders").

Uhtred Lothbrok

A lot of the older bands are past their time of selling a lot of recordings. They continue touring because that's where the money is for most of them. It's a combination of passion and economic need.

Uhtred Lothbrok

I think it's OK when they tour. It's all they know and nobody is forced to watch it.

What I don't like is when they still try to put out records 20, 30 years past their prime. And then go on tour to promote that new shit. Nobody wants to hear it! These records always suck. The majority of bands can only produce quality for a few albums, very good bands maybe six or more, but a lot of bands only had one really good album, and some only a single song ("one hit wonders").
I agree. If fans are willing to pay to hear the memorable stuff, power to them.

Reactions: cAn

Uhtred Lothbrok

Toto is a really good band. So is lover boy who is old and overweight but they are such good acts people love to see them.. same with billy idol who also has still got it.

The ones that erk me are the one hit wonders from 30 years ago still touring. But i also agree some of the bands just go on too long like aerosmith and rolling stones… many bands now don't even have the original members. Just stand in actors and its all sort of a scam people are paying big dollars and think they are seeing the original act..
Agreed. It's pretty easy to research past and current members so you know what you're paying to see. Some people care, some don't.

Reactions: cAn

sxng9

Trustee
Agreed with everyone above. In my opinion, in your 40's, you should start winding down. At 50's, it's time to start settling down and perhaps one last encore (if desired), but if you absolutely continue to have fans and enjoy what you do, then I guess so be it.

Although not alive today, I think even Johnny Rebel himself didn't go past his prime on recording his masterpieces.

DePlasmatikon Gibs

Jr. Administration
Staff member
They continue touring because that's where the money is for most of them.
That's true, especially festivals. Aging underground bands with family or job commitments and without label support like to play the festival circuits because it's decent money for a manageable effort and there are large crowds. This is why so many metal bands from the old days were tempted to reform in the first place, for doing festivals.

They come up on Youtube sometimes, it's funny to watch them. Mostly middle-aged, bald and fat men. :lol: But their tunes were friggin gold compared to what's being put out today. :rock:

NiggerGPT

The money for music goes primarily to record labels. They take a brand new band to the cleaners. They charge for studio time, advertising, and the manufacturing of the music. They have all kinds of hidden charges and management fee's. In the long term, the song writers make some royalties - if they own the music. As it was said, the bands make their money by touring. So if your a musician, and have no backup skills, you gotta go with what you know.

Its entertainment. If you don't enjoy it, don't participate in it. Your not being forced.

Last edited:

Goliwog Jones

Meanwhile, Judas Priest is still hitting them out of the park.

Take note trend following lg whatever alphabet soup + weirdos, on how gays can actually do something useful in society without advertising or imposing their ways onto normal people.

Uhtred Lothbrok

The money for music goes primarily to record labels. They take a brand new band to the cleaners. They charge for studio time, advertising, and the manufacturing of the music. They have all kinds of hidden charges and management fee's. In the long term, the song writers make some royalties - if they own the music. As it was said, the bands make their money by touring. So if your a musician, and have no backup skills, you gotta go with what you know.

Its entertainment. If you don't enjoy it, don't participate in it. Your not being forced.
Good points. I'll add that the small hats have been raping musicians for decades, both figuritively and literally. Lots of darkness in the recording industry.

sandra

I think this is spot on.

I think my objection is those guys trying to cling on to their youth with the long hair, tattoos, and silly costumes.

A grown man ages, he's got my respect for having earned a living, creating music, etc.

But a 65 year old guy trying to look 25 is comical.

I agree, toto was talented. Ditto steely Dan, journey, Fleetwood Mac.

But, are you really gonna go on a cruise ship playing 50 year old songs???

Mr. Otis Chimp

1. Cruise ship 70 year old farts in rock.

2. The obligatory class Reunion crap band "getting back together".

Barf. 😆
I have to agree with you. I have no desire to watch some blue chested old men in their seventies trying to strut on stage. For example Mick Jagger and Keith Richards who looks like he just crawled out of his grave. I'll be content just to listen to the albums from the late sixties and seventies when I was a teenager. When those bands sounded fresh.

hisdivineshadow1972

Agreed with everyone above. In my opinion, in your 40's, you should start winding down. At 50's, it's time to start settling down and perhaps one last encore (if desired), but if you absolutely continue to have fans and enjoy what you do, then I guess so be it.

Although not alive today, I think even Johnny Rebel himself didn't go past his prime on recording his masterpieces.
Ah yes Johnny rebel... David Allen Coe is still alive, but I don't think he sings publicly anymore. I miss his masterpieces but they are still on youtube

Uhtred Lothbrok

I have to agree with you. I have no desire to watch some blue chested old men in their seventies trying to strut on stage. For example Mick Jagger and Keith Richards who looks like he just crawled out of his grave. I'll be content just to listen to the albums from the late sixties and seventies when I was a teenager. When those bands sounded fresh.
I hear you. I will say that I did see the Rolling Stones in the late 80's (Steel Wheels tour) in New Orleans. They were still young enough to really bring it, and they did, BIG TIME. Opened the show with "Start Me Up" and then off to the races. They played well over 2 hrs. It was something to see. Very tight sound and Mick never stopped moving.

Race Realist

I hear you. I will say that I did see the Rolling Stones in the late 80's (Steel Wheels tour) in New Orleans. They were still young enough to really bring it, and they did, BIG TIME. Opened the show with "Start Me Up" and then off to the races. They played well over 2 hrs. It was something to see. Very tight sound and Mick never stopped moving.
Conversely, a lot of these acts don't need money.

But is so lucrative, that theyl go on stage knowing they're not much good.

Jon bon Jovi has completely lost his voice.